Patient retention and attrition on antiretroviral treatment at district level in rural Malawi.
AffiliationMédecins Sans Frontières, Thyolo District, Thyolo, Malawi.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractWe report on rates of patient retention and attrition in the context of scaling-up antiretroviral treatment (ART) within a district hospital and its primary health centres in rural Malawi. 'Retention' was defined as being alive and on ART or transferred out, whereas 'attrition' was defined as died, lost to follow-up or stopped treatment. A total of 4074 patients were followed-up for 1803 person-years: 2904 were at the hospital and 1170 at health centres. Approximately 85% of patients were retained in care, both at hospital and health centres, with a retention rate per 100 person-years of 185 and 211, respectively [adjusted hazard ratio (HR) 1.18, 95% CI 1.10-1.28, P=0.001). Attrition rates per 100 person-years were similar: 33 and 36, respectively (adjusted HR 1.17, 95% CI 0.97-1.4, P=0.1). At health centres the incidence of loss to follow-up was significantly lower than at the hospital (adjusted HR 0.24, P<0.001, risk reduction 77%), but the rate of reported deaths was higher at health centres (adjusted HR 2.2, 95% CI 1.76-2.72, P<0.001). As Malawi continues to extend the coverage (and equity) of ART, including in rural areas, attention is needed to reduce losses to follow-up at hospital level and reduce mortality at primary care level.
PublisherPublished by Elsevier
- Unacceptable attrition among WHO stages 1 and 2 patients in a hospital-based setting in rural Malawi: can we retain such patients within the general health system?
- Authors: Tayler-Smith K, Zachariah R, Massaquoi M, Manzi M, Pasulani O, van den Akker T, Bemelmans M, Bauernfeind A, Mwagomba B, Harries AD
- Issue date: 2010 May
- Retention and attrition during the preparation phase and after start of antiretroviral treatment in Thyolo, Malawi, and Kibera, Kenya: implications for programmes?
- Authors: Zachariah R, Tayler-Smith K, Manzi M, Massaquoi M, Mwagomba B, van Griensven J, van Engelgem I, Arnould L, Schouten EJ, Chimbwandira FM, Harries AD
- Issue date: 2011 Aug
- Vital status of pre-ART and ART patients defaulting from care in rural Malawi.
- Authors: McGuire M, Munyenyembe T, Szumilin E, Heinzelmann A, Le Paih M, Bouithy N, Pujades-Rodríguez M
- Issue date: 2010 Jun
- Short and long term retention in antiretroviral care in health facilities in rural Malawi and Zimbabwe.
- Authors: Rasschaert F, Koole O, Zachariah R, Lynen L, Manzi M, Van Damme W
- Issue date: 2012 Dec 5
- Community support is associated with better antiretroviral treatment outcomes in a resource-limited rural district in Malawi.
- Authors: Zachariah R, Teck R, Buhendwa L, Fitzerland M, Labana S, Chinji C, Humblet P, Harries AD
- Issue date: 2007 Jan