Development of dual-class antiretroviral drug resistance in a child coinfected with HIV and tuberculosis: a case report from KwaZulu-Natal, South Africa.
AffiliationMassachusetts General Hospital, and Brigham and Women's Hospital, Boston, MA, USA. email@example.com
MetadataShow full item record
JournalJournal of Tropical Pediatrics
AbstractThe treatment of concurrent HIV and tuberculosis (TB) in children <3 years of age has not been well-studied and is complicated by potential drug-drug interactions. The recommended antiretroviral therapy (ART) in coinfected children in South Africa consists of full-strength ritonavir, lamivudine and stavudine. We report on a child initiated on this regimen, during concurrent TB treatment, who promptly developed an adverse reaction, virologic failure and dual-class antiretroviral drug resistance, compromising subsequent salvage ART.
PublisherPublished by Oxford University Press
- Antiretroviral drug-resistant mutations at baseline and at time of failure of antiretroviral therapy in HIV type 1-coinfected TB patients.
- Authors: Rajesh L, Karunaianantham R, Narayanan PR, Swaminathan S
- Issue date: 2009 Nov
- Prevalence of HIV-1 drug resistance after failure of a first highly active antiretroviral therapy regimen in KwaZulu Natal, South Africa.
- Authors: Marconi VC, Sunpath H, Lu Z, Gordon M, Koranteng-Apeagyei K, Hampton J, Carpenter S, Giddy J, Ross D, Holst H, Losina E, Walker BD, Kuritzkes DR, South Africa Resistance Cohort Study Team.
- Issue date: 2008 May 15
- The effect of tuberculosis treatment on virologic and immunologic response to combination antiretroviral therapy among South African children.
- Authors: Soeters HM, Sawry S, Moultrie H, Rie AV
- Issue date: 2014 Oct 1
- Initial response to protease-inhibitor-based antiretroviral therapy among children less than 2 years of age in South Africa: effect of cotreatment for tuberculosis.
- Authors: Reitz C, Coovadia A, Ko S, Meyers T, Strehlau R, Sherman G, Kuhn L, Abrams EJ
- Issue date: 2010 Apr 15
- Virologic and immunologic response to antiretroviral therapy and predictors of HIV type 1 drug resistance in children receiving treatment in Abidjan, Côte d'Ivoire.
- Authors: Adjé-Touré C, Hanson DL, Talla-Nzussouo N, Borget MY, Kouadio LY, Tossou O, Fassinou P, Bissagnene E, Kadio A, Nolan ML, Nkengasong JN
- Issue date: 2008 Jul