Challenge and co-operation: civil society activism for access to HIV treatment in Thailand.
AffiliationMédecins Sans Frontières, Bangkok, Thailand. email@example.com
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractCivil society has been a driving force behind efforts to increase access to treatment in Thailand. A focus on HIV medicines brought civil society and non-governmental and government actors together to fight for a single cause, creating a platform for joint action on practical issues to improve care for people with HIV/AIDS (PHA) within the public health system. The Thai Network of People with HIV/AIDS, in partnership with other actors, has provided concrete support for patients and for the health system as a whole; its efforts have contributed significantly to the availability of affordable generic medicines, early treatment for opportunistic infections, and an informed and responsible approach towards antiretroviral treatment that is critical to good adherence and treatment success. This change in perception of PHA from 'passive receiver' to 'co-provider' of health care has led to improved acceptance and support within the healthcare system. Today, most PHA in Thailand can access treatment, and efforts have shifted to supporting care for excluded populations.
PublisherPublished by Wiley-Blackwell
- Sustaining access to antiretroviral therapy in the less-developed world: lessons from Brazil and Thailand.
- Authors: Ford N, Wilson D, Costa Chaves G, Lotrowska M, Kijtiwatchakul K
- Issue date: 2007 Jul
- Trends and economic stress: a challenge to universal access to antiretroviral treatment in India.
- Authors: Dhamija P, Bansal D, Medhi B
- Issue date: 2009 Jul
- Antiretroviral treatment in resource-poor settings: what can we learn from the existing programmes in Thailand?
- Authors: Phanuphak P
- Issue date: 2004 Jun
- Adherence as therapeutic citizenship: impact of the history of access to antiretroviral drugs on adherence to treatment.
- Authors: Nguyen VK, Ako CY, Niamba P, Sylla A, Tiendrébéogo I
- Issue date: 2007 Oct
- [Health care to HIV/AIDS patients in Brazil].
- Authors: Portela MC, Lotrowska M
- Issue date: 2006 Apr