Lessons learned during down referral of antiretroviral treatment in Tete, Mozambique.
AffiliationSouth African Medical Unit, Médecins Sans Frontières, Johannesburg, South Africa. firstname.lastname@example.org.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractABSTRACT: As sub-Saharan African countries continue to scale up antiretroviral treatment, there has been an increasing emphasis on moving provision of services from hospital level to the primary health care clinic level. Delivery of antiretroviral treatment at the clinic level increases the number of entry points to care, while the greater proximity of services encourages retention in care.In Tete City, Mozambique, patients on antiretrovirals were rapidly down referred from a provincial hospital to four urban clinics in large numbers without careful planning, resulting in a number of patients being lost to follow-up.We outline some key lessons learned to support down referral, including the need to improve process management, clinic infrastructure, monitoring systems, and patient preparation. Down referral can be avoided by initiating patients' antiretroviral treatment at clinic level from the outset.
- Integration of HIV/AIDS services into African primary health care: lessons learned for health system strengthening in Mozambique - a case study.
- Authors: Pfeiffer J, Montoya P, Baptista AJ, Karagianis M, Pugas Mde M, Micek M, Johnson W, Sherr K, Gimbel S, Baird S, Lambdin B, Gloyd S
- Issue date: 2010 Jan 20
- Distribution of antiretroviral treatment through self-forming groups of patients in Tete Province, Mozambique.
- Authors: Decroo T, Telfer B, Biot M, Maïkéré J, Dezembro S, Cumba LI, das Dores C, Chu K, Ford N
- Issue date: 2011 Feb 1
- Four-year retention and risk factors for attrition among members of community ART groups in Tete, Mozambique.
- Authors: Decroo T, Koole O, Remartinez D, dos Santos N, Dezembro S, Jofrisse M, Rasschaert F, Biot M, Laga M
- Issue date: 2014 May
- Effect of point-of-care CD4 cell count tests on retention of patients and rates of antiretroviral therapy initiation in primary health clinics: an observational cohort study.
- Authors: Jani IV, Sitoe NE, Alfai ER, Chongo PL, Quevedo JI, Rocha BM, Lehe JD, Peter TF
- Issue date: 2011 Oct 29
- A study of patient attitudes towards decentralisation of HIV care in an urban clinic in South Africa.
- Authors: Mukora R, Charalambous S, Dahab M, Hamilton R, Karstaedt A
- Issue date: 2011 Aug 26