An integrated approach of community health worker support for HIV/AIDS and TB care in Mozambique.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractABSTRACT: BACKGROUND: The need to scale up treatment for HIV/AIDS has led to a revival in community health workers to help alleviate the health human resource crisis in sub-Saharan Africa. Community health workers have been employed in Mozambique since the 1970s, performing disparate and fragmented activities, with mixed results. METHODS: A participant-observer description of the evolution of community health worker support to the health services in Angonia district, Mozambique. RESULTS: An integrated community health team approach, established jointly by the Ministry of Health and Medecins Sans Frontieres in 2007, has improved accountability, relevance, and geographical access for basic health services. CONCLUSIONS: The community health team has several advantages over 'disease-specific' community health worker approaches in terms of accountability, acceptability, and expanded access to care.
- Community-supported models of care for people on HIV treatment in sub-Saharan Africa.
- Authors: Bemelmans M, Baert S, Goemaere E, Wilkinson L, Vandendyck M, van Cutsem G, Silva C, Perry S, Szumilin E, Gerstenhaber R, Kalenga L, Biot M, Ford N
- Issue date: 2014 Aug
- Engagement of non-government organisations and community care workers in collaborative TB/HIV activities including prevention of mother to child transmission in South Africa: opportunities and challenges.
- Authors: Uwimana J, Zarowsky C, Hausler H, Jackson D
- Issue date: 2012 Aug 2
- Integration of HIV/AIDS services into African primary health care: lessons learned for health system strengthening in Mozambique - a case study.
- Authors: Pfeiffer J, Montoya P, Baptista AJ, Karagianis M, Pugas Mde M, Micek M, Johnson W, Sherr K, Gimbel S, Baird S, Lambdin B, Gloyd S
- Issue date: 2010 Jan 20
- Community health workers for ART in sub-Saharan Africa: learning from experience--capitalizing on new opportunities.
- Authors: Hermann K, Van Damme W, Pariyo GW, Schouten E, Assefa Y, Cirera A, Massavon W
- Issue date: 2009 Apr 9
- Task shifting in HIV/AIDS: opportunities, challenges and proposed actions for sub-Saharan Africa.
- Authors: Zachariah R, Ford N, Philips M, Lynch S, Massaquoi M, Janssens V, Harries AD
- Issue date: 2009 Jun