Performance of FASTPlaqueTB and a modified protocol in a high HIV prevalence community in South Africa.
AffiliationBiotec Laboratories South Africa Ltd, Cape Town, South Africa. email@example.com
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractModifications in the FASTPlaqueTB test protocol have resulted in an increase in the analytical limits of detection. This study investigated whether the performance of a modified prototype was able to increase the detection of smear-negative, culture-positive sputum samples as compared to the first generation FASTPlaqueTB test. Modifications to the FASTPlaqueTB did result in increased detection of smear-negative samples, but this was associated with a decrease in the specificity of the test. Before the FASTPlaqueTB can be considered as a viable replacement for smear microscopy and culture for the identification of tuberculosis, further work is required to resolve the performance issues identified in this study.
- Evaluation of the FASTPlaqueTB assay for direct detection of Mycobacterium tuberculosis in sputum specimens.
- Authors: Muzaffar R, Batool S, Aziz F, Naqvi A, Rizvi A
- Issue date: 2002 Jul
- Performance of a rapid phage-based test, FASTPlaqueTB, to diagnose pulmonary tuberculosis from sputum specimens in South Africa.
- Authors: Albert H, Heydenrych A, Brookes R, Mole RJ, Harley B, Subotsky E, Henry R, Azevedo V
- Issue date: 2002 Jun
- The evaluation of FASTPlaqueTB test for the rapid diagnosis of tuberculosis.
- Authors: Albay A, Kisa O, Baylan O, Doganci L
- Issue date: 2003 Jul
- Short-term bleach digestion of sputum in the diagnosis of pulmonary tuberculosis in patients co-infected with HIV.
- Authors: Lawson L, Yassin MA, Ramsay A, Emenyonu EN, Thacher TD, Davies PD, Squire SB, Cuevas LE
- Issue date: 2007 Jul