Implementation of the thin layer agar for the diagnosis of smear-negative pulmonary tuberculosis in a high HIV prevalence setting in Homa Bay, Kenya.
AffiliationInstitute of Tropical Medicine, Antwerp, Belgium; Médecins Sans Frontières, Paris, France; Homa Bay District Hospital, Kenya.
MetadataShow full item record
JournalJournal of Clinical Microbiology
AbstractThe objective of this study was to evaluate the performance of a low-cost method, the Thin Layer Agar (TLA), for the diagnosis of smear-negative patients. This prospective study was performed in Homa Bay district Hospital in Kenya. Out of 1584 smear-negative sputum samples, 212 were positive by Löwenstein-Jensen (LJ) (13.5%) and 220 positive by TLA (14%). The sensitivity of LJ and TLA was 71% and 74 % respectively. TLA could become an affordable method for the diagnosis of smear-negative tuberculosis in resource-limited settings with results available within 2 weeks.
- Evaluation of a rapid culture method for tuberculosis diagnosis: a Latin American multi-center study.
- Authors: Robledo JA, Mejía GI, Morcillo N, Chacón L, Camacho M, Luna J, Zurita J, Bodon A, Velasco M, Palomino JC, Martin A, Portaels F
- Issue date: 2006 Jun
- Prevalence of smear negative pulmonary tuberculosis among patients visiting St. Peter's Tuberculosis Specialized Hospital, Addis Ababa, Ethiopia.
- Authors: Desta K, Asrat D, Lemma E, Gebeyehu M, Feleke B
- Issue date: 2009 Jan
- The manual MGIT system for the detection of M. tuberculosis in respiratory specimens: an experience in the University Malaya Medical Centre.
- Authors: Fadzilah MN, Ng KP, Ngeow YF
- Issue date: 2009 Dec
- Is introducing rapid culture into the diagnostic algorithm of smear-negative tuberculosis cost-effective?
- Authors: Yakhelef N, Audibert M, Varaine F, Chakaya J, Sitienei J, Huerga H, Bonnet M
- Issue date: 2014 May
- Comparative performance of Thin Layer Agar and Löwenstein-Jensen culture for diagnosis of tuberculosis.
- Authors: Battaglioli T, Rintiswati N, Martin A, Palupi KR, Bernaerts G, Dwihardiani B, Ahmad RA, Matthys F, Mahendradhata Y, Van der Stuyft P
- Issue date: 2013 Nov