Financial access to health care in Karuzi, Burundi: a household-survey based performance evaluation.
Van Herp, Michel
AffiliationMédecins Sans Frontières (Belgium), 94 rue Dupré, Brussels, Belgium. firstname.lastname@example.org.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractABSTRACT: BACKGROUND: In 2003, Médecins Sans Frontières, the provincial government, and the provincial health authority began a community project to guarantee financial access to primary health care in Karuzi province, Burundi. The project used a community-based assessment to provide exemption cards for indigent households and a reduced flat fee for consultations for all other households. METHODS: An evaluation was carried out in 2005 to assess the impact of this project. Primary data collection was through a cross-sectional household survey of the catchment areas of 10 public health centres. A questionnaire was used to determine the accuracy of the community-identification method, households' access to health care, and costs of care. Household socioeconomic status was determined by reported expenditures and access to land. RESULTS: Financial access to care at the nearest health centre was ensured for 70% of the population. Of the remaining 30%, half experienced financial barriers to access and the other half chose alternative sites of care. The community-based assessment increased the number of people of the population who qualified for fee exemptions to 8.6% but many people who met the indigent criteria did not receive a card. Eighty-eight percent of the population lived under the poverty threshold. Referring to the last sickness episode, 87% of households reported having no money available and 25% risked further impoverishment because of healthcare costs even with the financial support system in place. CONCLUSION: The flat fee policy was found to reduce cost barriers for some households but, given the generalized poverty in the area, the fee still posed a significant financial burden. This report showed the limits of a programme of fee exemption for indigent households and a flat fee for others in a context of widespread poverty.
- The household costs of health care in rural South Africa with free public primary care and hospital exemptions for the poor.
- Authors: Goudge J, Gilson L, Russell S, Gumede T, Mills A
- Issue date: 2009 Apr
- No cash, no care: how user fees endanger health--lessons learnt regarding financial barriers to healthcare services in Burundi, Sierra Leone, Democratic Republic of Congo, Chad, Haiti and Mali.
- Authors: Ponsar F, Tayler-Smith K, Philips M, Gerard S, Van Herp M, Reid T, Zachariah R
- Issue date: 2011 Jun
- Financial burden of household out-of-pocket expenditures for prescription drugs: cross-sectional analysis based on national survey data.
- Authors: McLeod L, Bereza BG, Shim M, Grootendorst P
- Issue date: 2011
- The free delivery and caesarean policy in Morocco: how much do households still pay?
- Authors: Boukhalfa C, Abouchadi S, Cunden N, Witter S
- Issue date: 2016 Feb
- Fee exemption for caesarean section in Morocco.
- Authors: Bennis I, De Brouwere V
- Issue date: 2012 Jan 3