Operational research in low-income countries: what, why, and how?
Harries, A D
Rieder, H L
Van Herp, M
AffiliationOperational Research Unit, Medical Department, Brussels Operational Centre, Médecins Sans Frontières, Brussels, Belgium. email@example.com
MetadataShow full item record
JournalLancet Infectious Diseases
AbstractOperational research is increasingly being discussed at institutional meetings, donor forums, and scientific conferences, but limited published information exists on its role from a disease-control and programme perspective. We suggest a definition of operational research, clarify its relevance to infectious-disease control programmes, and describe some of the enabling factors and challenges for its integration into programme settings. Particularly in areas where the disease burden is high and resources and time are limited, investment in operational research and promotion of a culture of inquiry are needed so that health care can become more efficient. Thus, research capacity needs to be developed, specific resources allocated, and different stakeholders (academic institutions, national programme managers, and non-governmental organisations) brought together in promoting operational research.
- Is operational research delivering the goods? The journey to success in low-income countries.
- Authors: Zachariah R, Ford N, Maher D, Bissell K, Van den Bergh R, van den Boogaard W, Reid T, Castro KG, Draguez B, von Schreeb J, Chakaya J, Atun R, Lienhardt C, Enarson DA, Harries AD
- Issue date: 2012 May
- Building leadership capacity and future leaders in operational research in low-income countries: why and how?
- Authors: Zachariah R, Reid T, Srinath S, Chakaya J, Legins K, Karunakara U, Harries AD
- Issue date: 2011 Nov
- Reducing obesity and related chronic disease risk in children and youth: a synthesis of evidence with 'best practice' recommendations.
- Authors: Flynn MA, McNeil DA, Maloff B, Mutasingwa D, Wu M, Ford C, Tough SC
- Issue date: 2006 Feb
- Post-genomic challenges for collaborative research in infectious diseases.
- Authors: Okeke IN, Wain J
- Issue date: 2008 Nov
- Operational research need in guineaworm eradication programme.
- Authors: Kumar A
- Issue date: 1990 Dec