"Paradoxical" immune-mediated reactions to Mycobacterium ulcerans during antibiotic treatment: a result of treatment success, not failure.
AffiliationBarwon Health, Geelong, VIC, Australia. email@example.com.
MetadataShow full item record
JournalMedical Journal of Australia
AbstractWe present the first clinical descriptions of immune-mediated paradoxical reactions to effective antibiotic treatment for Mycobacterium ulcerans infection, which result in clinical deterioration after initial improvement. Recognition of this phenomenon could prevent unnecessary changes to antibiotic regimens, and might obviate the need for, or reduce the extent of, further surgery. (MJA 2009; 191: 564-566).
- Corticosteroid use for paradoxical reactions during antibiotic treatment for Mycobacterium ulcerans.
- Authors: Friedman ND, McDonald AH, Robson ME, O'Brien DP
- Issue date: 2012
- [Paradoxical reactions and responses during antibiotic treatment for Mycobacterium ulcerans infection (Buruli ulcer). Four cases from French Guiana].
- Authors: Sambourg E, Dufour J, Edouard S, Morris A, Mosnier E, Reynaud Y, Sainte-Marie D, Nacher M, Guégan JF, Couppié P
- Issue date: 2014 Jun-Jul
- Incidence, clinical spectrum, diagnostic features, treatment and predictors of paradoxical reactions during antibiotic treatment of Mycobacterium ulcerans infections.
- Authors: O'Brien DP, Robson M, Friedman ND, Walton A, McDonald A, Callan P, Hughes A, Rahdon R, Athan E
- Issue date: 2013 Sep 5
- Paradoxical responses after start of antimicrobial treatment in Mycobacterium ulcerans infection.
- Authors: Nienhuis WA, Stienstra Y, Abass KM, Tuah W, Thompson WA, Awuah PC, Awuah-Boateng NY, Adjei O, Bretzel G, Schouten JP, van der Werf TS
- Issue date: 2012 Feb 15
- Corticosteroid-induced immunosuppression ultimately does not compromise the efficacy of antibiotherapy in murine Mycobacterium ulcerans infection.
- Authors: Martins TG, Trigo G, Fraga AG, Gama JB, Longatto-Filho A, Saraiva M, Silva MT, Castro AG, Pedrosa J
- Issue date: 2012