Risk factors for in-hospital mortality of visceral leishmaniasis patients in eastern Uganda.
AffiliationMédecins Sans Frontières, Geneva, Switzerland. email@example.com
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractOBJECTIVE: To identify risk factors for in-hospital mortality in patients treated for visceral leishmaniasis (VL) in Uganda. METHODS: Retrospective analysis of VL patients' clinical data collected for project monitoring by Médecins Sans Frontières in Amudat, eastern Uganda. RESULTS: Between 2000 and 2005, of 3483 clinically suspect patients, 53% were confirmed with primary VL. Sixty-two per cent were children <16 years of age with a male/female ratio of 2.2. The overall case-fatality rate during pentavalent antimonial (n = 1641) or conventional amphotericin B treatment (n = 217) was 3.7%. There was no difference in the case-fatality rate between treatment groups (P > 0.20). The main risk factors for in-hospital death identified by a multivariate analysis were age <6 years and >15 years, concomitant tuberculosis or hepatopathy, and drug-related adverse events. The case-fatality rate among patients >45 years of age was strikingly high (29.0%). CONCLUSION: Subgroups of VL patients at higher risk of death during treatment with drugs currently available in Uganda were identified. Less toxic drugs should be evaluated and used in these patients.
- Limited effectiveness of high-dose liposomal amphotericin B (AmBisome) for treatment of visceral leishmaniasis in an Ethiopian population with high HIV prevalence.
- Authors: Ritmeijer K, ter Horst R, Chane S, Aderie EM, Piening T, Collin SM, Davidson RN
- Issue date: 2011 Dec
- Natural history of a visceral leishmaniasis outbreak in highland Ethiopia.
- Authors: Herrero M, Orfanos G, Argaw D, Mulugeta A, Aparicio P, Parreño F, Bernal O, Rubens D, Pedraza J, Lima MA, Flevaud L, Palma PP, Bashaye S, Alvar J, Bern C
- Issue date: 2009 Sep
- Prevalence, features and risk factors for malaria co-infections amongst visceral leishmaniasis patients from Amudat Hospital, Uganda.
- Authors: van den Bogaart E, Berkhout MM, Adams ER, Mens PF, Sentongo E, Mbulamberi DB, Straetemans M, Schallig HD, Chappuis F
- Issue date: 2012
- [First-line liposomal amphotericin B for pediatric visceral leishmaniasis in southern France].
- Authors: Minodier P, Robert S, Noël G, Blanc P, Retornaz K, Garnier JM
- Issue date: 2005 Jul
- Predictors of an unsatisfactory response to pentavalent antimony in the treatment of American visceral leishmaniasis.
- Authors: Santos MA, Marques RC, Farias CA, Vasconcelos DM, Stewart JM, Costa DL, Costa CH
- Issue date: 2002 Nov-Dec