Diagnosis and management of antiretroviral-therapy failure in resource-limited settings in sub-Saharan Africa: challenges and perspectives.
AuthorsHarries, Anthony D
van Oosterhout, Joep J
Reid, Steven D
Hosseinipour, Mina C
Schouten, Erik J
AffiliationInternational Union against Tuberculosis and Lung Disease, Paris, France. firstname.lastname@example.org
MetadataShow full item record
JournalThe Lancet Infectious Diseases
AbstractDespite the enormous progress made in scaling up antiretroviral therapy (ART) in sub-Saharan Africa, many challenges remain, not least of which are the identification and management of patients who have failed first-line therapy. Less than 3% of patients are receiving second-line treatment at present, whereas 15-25% of patients have detectable viral loads 12 months or more into treatment, of whom a substantial proportion might have virological failure. We discuss the reasons why virological ART failure is likely to be under-diagnosed in the routine health system, and address the current difficulties with standard recommended second-line ART regimens. The development of new diagnostic tools for ART failure, in particular a point-of-care HIV viral-load test, combined with simple and inexpensive second-line therapy, such as boosted protease-inhibitor monotherapy, could revolutionise the management of ART failure in resource-limited settings.
- Extraordinary heterogeneity of virological outcomes in patients receiving highly antiretroviral therapy and monitored with the World Health Organization public health approach in sub-saharan Africa and southeast Asia.
- Authors: Aghokeng AF, Monleau M, Eymard-Duvernay S, Dagnra A, Kania D, Ngo-Giang-Huong N, Toni TD, Touré-Kane C, Truong LX, Delaporte E, Chaix ML, Peeters M, Ayouba A, ANRS 12186 Study Group.
- Issue date: 2014 Jan
- Prognostic value of virological and immunological responses after 6 months of antiretroviral treatment in adults with HIV-1 infection in sub-Saharan Africa.
- Authors: De Luca A, Marazzi MC, Mancinelli S, Ceffa S, Altan AM, Buonomo E, Prosperi MC, Pedruzzi B, Noorjehan AM, Scarcella P, Liotta G, Palombi L
- Issue date: 2012 Mar 1
- Evaluating patients for second-line antiretroviral therapy in India: the role of targeted viral load testing.
- Authors: Rewari BB, Bachani D, Rajasekaran S, Deshpande A, Chan PL, Srikantiah P
- Issue date: 2010 Dec 15
- Mortality after failure of antiretroviral therapy in sub-Saharan Africa.
- Authors: Keiser O, Tweya H, Braitstein P, Dabis F, MacPhail P, Boulle A, Nash D, Wood R, Lüthi R, Brinkhof MW, Schechter M, Egger M, ART-LINC of IeDEA Study Group.
- Issue date: 2010 Feb
- Tackling virological failure in HIV-infected children living in Africa.
- Authors: Jenabian MA, Costiniuk CT, Mboumba Bouassa RS, Chapdeleine Mekue Mouafo L, Brogan TV, Bélec L
- Issue date: 2015